Papillion, NE asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Landlord - Tenant for Nebraska

Q: Can my sons father legally evict me? He keeps threatening to. I have a daughter that lives with us too.

The house is in his name, but I’ve cleaned, maintained and furnished it since he bought it (3 years ago, (we’ve been together for 6) and also have stayed home to take care of our son his life this far. Partner pays the mortgage and some utilities, I pay for and take care of everything else. He goes into rages and threatens to evict me quite often, so I’m wondering if he really can. I recently acquired a house thanks to a family inheritance under tragic circumstances, but it will take months of work before i can move myself and the kids in. I don’t have a real job as his work took always took precedence. We agreed on the end of the school year for me to possibly move but it doesn’t matter when he’s throwing a tantrum. Believe it or not I watched my grandparent die last night and he’s threatening eviction again today. Help please

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: If you don't own the property, the landlord can evict you, even if your landlord is your significant other. If you are married, the rules apply differently as you generally have marital rights to the property even if you are not on the title. The landlord would need to follow the proper eviction process to legally evict you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.