Evans, GA asked in Civil Litigation and Construction Law for Georgia

Q: Renovations guy ripped me off and closed his business. How should I procced? What happens if he is hard to locate?

Contracted a business (a man and his son) to do some reno work. Most of what they did is unfinished and now he has closed his business. The work was done in GA, where I also reside, but his business is located in SC. I don't live near the area the work was being done so I asked him to send me pictures as he finished things. He did but he only sent me good angles of the work . I have all receipts and documentation of what was suppose to be completed. Since the work was in GA do I take him to small claims in the county the work was done or where his business is? Will I be asked to provide a work permit if/when this goes to small claims court? He said I didn't need one for the work being done but I don't really trust the guy now.

Thanks for your time.

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael W. Horst
Michael W. Horst
  • Alpharetta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Since the work was done in Georgia but his business is located in South Carolina, you have the option to sue him in the Georgia county where the work was done or in South Carolina. Since you live in Georgia, I would file suit in Georgia as it is most convenient for you. In Georgia, magistrate court (i.e., small claims court), is only permitted to handle cases in which the dispute involves $15,000 or less. If your dispute is greater than that amount, you will need to file suit in state or superior court. The absence of a work permit should not have any impact on whether your case is successful.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.