Hastings, NE asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Child Custody and Family Law for Nebraska

Q: I recently filed a modification of custody and was told that the next course of action is mediation.

Is it true that evidence brought up during a mediation cannot be brought up in court before a judge. Since i know my ex and i wont be able to agree during mediation.

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: At trial, you can generally testify as to what the other party said to you. One exception to this is usually that comments that a person said to you as part of a formal mediation session are not allowed to be disclosed in Court.

Thus, generally yes, statements made in mediation are generally not able to be disclosed in evidence. This prevents a person from saying at trial, "well in mediation they said they would have given me that"...or similar statements at trial. This is to encourage the parties to each make some concessions in mediation to try to find a resolution.

However, not all evidence presented in mediation, is protected. The parties might exchange financial documents, such as tax returns or bank statements, in mediation which could later be offered as evidence in trial. Also, there are other exceptions depending on the specific facts of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.