Seattle, WA asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Washington

Q: If I add my life partner to the title of my house and I die, will the house go directly to him without probate?

Also, will the house be assessed at the time of my death so he won’t have to pay capital gains taxes, if he sells it?

1 Lawyer Answer
Renee Louise Roman
Renee Louise Roman pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Des Moines, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: The answer to your first question is yes, but ONLY IF the proper deed is executed and recorded. There are several types of deeds in Washington, so please consult an attorney who can explain the differences, so you can decide what is best for you and your partner.

The answer to the second question is that inheritance receives a stepped up basis at the time of death so there would be no capital gains. Again, you will want to discuss this with an attorney, with your particular situation in mind.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.