Lake Forest, CA asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for California

Q: Can I file criminal charges against a women who lied to me about a puppy being in good health when I bought her?

She was listed as a breeder on and I purchased a bulldog from her that she said was perfectly healthy, I have all of the messages documented just so you know. Then the morning I got her I messaged the woman to let her know that the dog wasn’t breathing normally and seem to have a lot of congestion, but she told me it was perfectly normal and I could call her if I needed anything else. That same night I ended up in the emergency vet with the puppy, and she was diagnosed with a deadly case of pneumonia, I am mediately contacted Gina only to have her ignore me and not answer any of my calls or messages. I spent thousands on trying to keep her alive and she passed away this morning after having her for one week but I want to know is, how can I file a police report because not only did she defraud me but I caught her trying to sell the same dog under a different name so she is going to scam someone else.

1 Lawyer Answer
John Karas
John Karas
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Temecula, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: This is a civil matter, not criminal. You can sue her in Small Claims court for the purchase price of the animal and the vet bills you incurred.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.