Lubbock, TX asked in Medical Malpractice for Texas

Q: Perscribed celexa, denied increase or switching, continued prescription 2yrs w/o check up. Recent breakdown, job loss

diagnosed with depression. I didn't feel heard, or respected. Was told life is just hard and to get over it. I stopped seeing her, she continued to prescribe the medication. New doctor has diagnosed me bipolar with OCD, close to a diagnosis with borderline personality disorder. The previous doctor did nothing to help me figure this out and I saw her for 4 years. I'm not sure about the details, But the medication was prescribed for at least 2 years if not more without an appointment. On that medication my entire life was destroyed. I have lost everything. Because of my mental health, I am unsure if there is any possibility of a case here. But I would love some advice on this. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Celexa is one of those prescription drugs which require close medical oversight during the process of discontinuing its use. If you were taking it when you stopped seeing your old doctor, he/she should have continued to prescribe it, and your new doctor should have overseen the process of discontinuing its use if your new doctor determined it was not right for you. You should have followed your new doctor’s advice throughout the process of discontinuing its use.

Before prescribing Celexa initially, you should have been screened for bipolar disorder. Celexa is approved for treatment of depression but is contraindicated for patients with bipolar disorder. If your old doctor failed to screen you for bipolar disorder before prescribing Celexa, that likely falls below the standard of care. If your old doctor did screen you, but such screening was negative, that does not fall below the standard of care even if later screening was positive.

If you discontinued mental health care for a good part of the two years after you last saw your old doctor before seeing your new doctor, it is likely a substantial proportion of fault for adverse effects lies with you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.