Fairfield, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Can I sue my landlord for forging my initials and signature on a lease contract I never signed?

My landlord never gave me my contract to sign and after a year he was trying to evict me and so we went to court and he showed a contract that I "signed electronically". I never signed this contract, what can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander C. Safarian
Alexander C. Safarian
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Burbank, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Forgery by definition, is illegal and a landlord cannot forge a tenant's signature on a lease agreement or any other document. If you believe that your landlord forged your initials or signature on a lease contract that you never signed, you may have grounds to take legal action against your landlord.

There are several options available to you in this situation. One option is to file a complaint with the local housing authority or a tenant's rights organization. You may also be able to file a lawsuit against your landlord, alleging fraud or breach of contract.

If you decide to take legal action, it is important to gather as much evidence as possible to support your case. This may include a copy of the lease agreement with the alleged forged signature, any witnesses who can confirm that you did not sign the lease, and any other relevant documentation.

It is also a good idea to consult with a lawyer or legal aid organization to determine the best course of action in your specific situation. They can help you understand your legal rights and options, and provide guidance on how to proceed.

12 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.