Brooklyn, NY asked in Criminal Law for New York

Q: My 19-year-old son has two cases. Bronx and Brooklyn. Each one has a gun charge. Can they sentence twice 4 CRIM POSS W

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph A. Bondy
Joseph A. Bondy
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Regrettably, yes. Based on your question, your son is charged separately in two jurisdictions—the Bronx and Brooklyn. The matters are therefore based on separate alleged conduct, and gun counts are charged in each case. If your son is convicted in each jurisdiction, then he will be sentenced separately. That is not to say his defense counsel could not negotiate or seek concurrent sentencing.

Michael Arbeit agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.