Longs, SC asked in Divorce for South Carolina

Q: My wife and I sold a house in Massachusetts moved to South Carolina. We are having problems in our marriage

We bought a house in South Carolina no mortgage but she’s the only one on the title. I am not. She’s trying to force me to move back to Massachusetts because we are having problems with her daughter. She saying she does not wanna divorce, but wants me to move back to Massachusetts. I’m wondering what are my rights here? And if I do leave the house, does that mean I’m not entitled to it anymore?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Megan Hunt Dell
Megan Hunt Dell
  • Charleston, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: It is unclear how long you and your wife have lived in South Carolina, and that is an important fact for determining whether the Family Court would have authority to address any issues in a divorce between you and your wife. Assuming you have both lived here for at least 3 months, then the title/deed of the house is not -- by itself -- determinative of whether you have an ownership interest. Generally, moving out does not change your entitlement to division of assets and debts, but it could affect your case in other ways. You would need to consult an experienced SC divorce lawyer to address all of the relevant details (including the source of the funds for purchasing the MA home) to get a fuller understanding of your rights.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.