Milwaukee, WI asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Missouri

Q: How to have un-wanted house-guests who have over-stayed their welcome out asap in MO?

Hello. Around 5 months ago a friend of mine contacted me (he was homeless) and asked me if him and his GF could come stay with me for a few weeks at my house I own. I said sure. They have now been here 5 months, refuse to get a job, have never paid any money in rent and do not have any kind of a lease. I've told them I want them out because I suspect they stole 3 of my firearms and a computer. One of them also sent me a text message two days ago stating this "I want to strangle you right now" I was under the impression since they do not have a lease nor pay rent, that I could call the police and have them removed since that would be a criminal offense and I feel threatened and unsafe in my own home? What are the fastest options I have to have them removed from my home? Thank you!

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: It is civil jurisdiction only. Hire a MO attorney for this problem eviction action for possession. It may require physical removal by LEO's later. Do not get in a fight or they will have leverage on you. Do not do this yourself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.