Howe, OK asked in Family Law and Probate for Oklahoma

Q: Can I become executor of my deceased mothers land without a will in place?

I am one of 4 siblings. My mother passed and did not have a will. She was common law married but the land was purchased before the marriage and was only in her name. I have been paying the taxes on the land since she passed. What can I do to obtain the land since I am caring for it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Contact a probate attorney. These can be complex issues, and with a spouse involved (common law or not) the date the land was purchased is not relevant (it would be in the event of a divorce but not necessarily in death) - But first thing is the estate (land and all other belongings) needs to be distributed pursuant to state law, otherwise there could be legal action taken by any of the heirs, the spouse, or even creditors.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.