Athens, OH asked in Real Estate Law for Ohio

Q: How can I get someone off the deed?

My ex-fiancée put zero money into purchasing the home. I sold my house and my credit got this currently. She has only paid half mortgage. Nothing else. No house bills, nothing. I only put her on the deed because we were going to marry. Turns out she used me to leave her parents house and had no intension on marrying me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Once a person is added to the deed to a home, they have to agree to any transfer to remove their name. Without a written agreement with her in which she agreed to pay her share, you can't force her to pay anything on the mortgage or any other bills. You can offer her some amount of money to get her to sign a deed to get her removed, or you can file a partition action in court, which could take many months to resolve and cost you several thousand in legal fees and litigation costs. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local real estate attorney to review the situation and advise you of your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.