Chicago, IL asked in Immigration Law for Illinois

Q: How to send ‘copies of documents’ to USCIS in ‘paperless billing’ era?


‘Copies of documents’ are required by USCIS for various immigration applications and petitions. Especially for marriage based petitions such as I-751 it’s required to provide evidence in the form of utility bills, joint savings and checking accounts with transaction history etc.

With the above in mind, I have the following question: Does USCIS accept utility bills, bank statements and other documents that are printed from the 'pdf' format downloaded from the online bank or utility providers accounts? (As especially nowadays every provider is pushing their ‘paperless billing’ on every occasion.)

Or does USCIS only accept photocopies of the ‘old-school’ physical letters with bills and bank statements that were delivered to my address in an envelope?

Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cesar Mejia Duenas
Cesar Mejia Duenas pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Miami, FL

A: You may submit utility bills, bank statements, and other documents printed in PDF format or screenshots. USCIS will accept these documents as copies.

I recommend that you carefully read the instructions provided for form I-751 and if you have additional questions, consider retaining an attorney in this matter. Good luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.