Houston, TX asked in Civil Rights for Texas

Q: How long do I have to file civil rights usc42 sec1983 suit for deprivation of rights by police in southern distric

Officer lied on report to secure warrant for arrest

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: There is not an easy answer. Section 1983 does not have its own statute of limitations and instead incorporates the state statute of limitations for conduct which most closely parallels the complained of conduct.

Given the very limited facts you include in your question, that may be the one year statute of limitations for defamation. If so, you would need to file suit within one year of when the officer lied on the report.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.