Saint Augustine, FL asked in Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: If my husband has left and not helping towards any of our family bills that come out of my account can I do anything?

I had to call the police and they took him to a hotel until he was sober. He will not come back home and will not talk with me about anything. All our bills including his own come out of my accounts. He even has one of the cars which my name is on and comes out of my account. He is not sending money to me for anything i'm just stuck paying for everything when he is the one that making the money that supports the family. What can i do? I do not make enough to even if i cancel some bills since he was the main income.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Pamela J. Fero Esq.
Pamela J. Fero Esq.
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You may file for divorce, where you can ask the court to order your husband to pay certain bills as well as alimony and child support, or you may file a motion for temporary relief, which can include temporary alimony and child support and an order for your husband to pay certain bills while the divorce is pending.

Consult with a local family law attorney for specific guidance on your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.