Cleveland, OH asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Puerto Rico

Q: How do I get guardianship of a minor in Puerto Rico, my sister wants me to keep her son for a year or more.

I live in the states

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: For a short term guardianship, a sworn testimony from your sister and your nephew's father would be sufficient, stating the date on which the minor would leave Puerto Rico, the date on which your nephew would return to his mom, the address where your nephew would physically reside in your care, and explicitly stating that you'd be authorized to make decisions to guarantee your nephew's physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing. I'd recommend that your sister also include the reason(s) why she wishes her son to remain with you for so long a period. Please observe that both parents must subscribe said sworn statement before a notary. Is the boy's father aware of his son's trip abroad? Is he in agreement with said journey? If only one of the parent's agrees to the trip without the knowledge or authorization of the other, the disagreeing parent may go to court to impede the journey.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.