Roseville, MI asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Michigan

Q: Is there a law which seperates the jurisdiction or ruling on individual custody cases?

I am currently seeking sole legal custody of my son and I dont have legal custody of my daughter. They don't share the same father. I currently have joint legal custody of my son.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: There is no rule on that but you definitely have two different cases, even if it may be with the same judge, and so the holding on one case shouldn't necessarily affect the holding on the other. In other words, it's certainly possible - and happens - for a parent to have custody of one child and not another because what matters is the facts of the two parents involved in each case.

But a word of caution: you have an uphill battle to change custody from joint to sole. You're going to have to show the court, effectively, there is something wrong with this father.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.