Davenport, IA asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets and Municipal Law for New Jersey

Q: can i be charged for criminal trespassing if I was not even on private property when police arrived to my residence?

I injured my back while riding my atv and had to call an ambulance to get to the hospital since i couldn't drive. Police came to my home upon the call as they stated they needed to fill out a report for any type of accident called in via 911. The officers stated they were not issuing tickets just filing a report - I have him saying this on my security camera footage. My ATV was put away and I was at home when the call was made. I received 4 tickets in the mail, one was for criminal trespassing, the others for uninsured vehicle/no insurance - its an ATV. Yes, the place we were riding at is known locally and even law enforcement rides back there in their off time. I never stated I was on those trails and sand pit when the injury happened. Can the police department issue a ticket for that charge when i was at my own residence at the time of their arrival?

1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg
H. Scott Aalsberg
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Yes they can charge you even up to a year later for criminal cases in Municipal Court. That being said I would suggest hiring a lawyer you may have a defense in this case. Most of us criminal lawyers offer a free in office consultation, I would suggest that you set one up.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.