Miami, FL asked in Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: I had a contempt of court motion placed on me and a court date set that I cannot meet due to business obligation. What c

What can I do to change that date?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If the plaintiff is represented by a law firm/attorney, call them and see if they will agree to a change. If there's no lawyer on the other side, call the judge's assistant and ask whether you can change the date. Your business obligation had better be significant; as between a court date and anything else, generally the court takes precedence and you've already violated a court order to do something. Don't expect them to change the date - they might, but don't expect it. If they don't, change the business obligation.

Terrence H Thorgaard agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.