Atlanta, GA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for South Carolina

Q: What should a father do if a mother runs to another state from SC with minor child?

Mother, father, and child live together in the child’s birth state. Mother has lived in that state for almost one year and the child is 6 months old, she plans to visit her home state. Father says it’s not a good idea since child has been sick. Mother goes and then calls father and says she isn’t coming back. She is refusing to allow the father to see the child alone without a court order and will only let him see the child supervised if he travels to where she has now relocated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Megan Hunt Dell
Megan Hunt Dell
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Charleston, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Most states have enacted a version of the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act (referred to as the "UCCJEA"), and the typical provisions of the UCCJEA provide that an initial custody case can only be brought in the "home state" of the child; for a child who is an infant, the home state is the state where the child has resided since birth.

Based on the facts you have provided, your best option is likely to consult a custody attorney in your state about filing an action to require the mother to return the child to your state and establish visitation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.