Belton, TX asked in Real Estate Law for Texas

Q: I bought land in Belton, given a warranty deed claiming 100% ownership. Later I an adopted sister was on the tax rolls

The property sits on East Central and the absent half sister has contributed nothing for taxes, maintenance or management and she is a ward of the state. The first 90 days I owned it I was contacted by the city of Belton and informed I had less than 30 to get it cut or they would take action against me. It’s 2 1/2 acres and I contracted a man to cut it for $200 to prevent legal action against me. I have only seen her one time in 9 years and that wasn’t at the property. I offered to pay her what the two natural born sisters cheated her out of, She refused saying, oh I would never sell mama and daddy’s land, The house was a shack a was destroyed many years ago. How can I get the land title clear so I can build on it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: You need a lawyer!

Your concerns are technical and deal with Estate laws and property laws and probably local government laws and rules.

A warranty deed is enforceable in court. But there are time limits on bringing a lawsuit. Your case seems complicated and would require a review of the deed, and any other writings and filings on the property.

Inheritance is tricky.

There are good attorneys on this website. You should visit with one or more of them to get options.

Good Luck!

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.