Port Huron, MI asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for Michigan

Q: Can the school search my child's locker with my consent or knowledge?


My 13 year old sons person was searched, his backpack, coat, hoodie and locker. We were not notified. Then they find weed rolling papers. (Obviously he shouldn't have them) then they threatened to call the cops and said he'll have fun in juvie. He was so terrified that he bolted from the school. It took 4 hours in cold weather to find him. Plus because they took his coat and hoodie, he was only in a t shirt. We were not not until AFTER he took off. We had no idea any of this until he ran out of the school. We want to see if we can hold the school accountable. If they had called us from the start none of the other things would have happened. Plus the school should not have let him get out. On top of that they searched my other sons backpack, locker, and coat. Of course they didn't find anything. But they NEVER told us that part. My son did. Can the school be sued?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Your primary issue needs to be resolving any school administrative action or juvenile action against your son. Yes, schools can search students' personal belongings and lockers. The appropriateness of other actions described should be discussed with a local attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.