Sicklerville, NJ asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: I need to have my 33 yr son move from my home. He refuses how can I have this happen?

Not on lease. He refuses to go. Does not pay rent or bills

1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Schutz
Matthew Schutz
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Flemington, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You would need to file an ejectment action. Ejectment is the remedy that you use where you have someone trespassing on your property. Since your son is 33 years old, he should be out on his own. Your obligation to support him ended when he turned 18. He needs to be given formal notice that he has to leave and if he doesn't comply, that's when you file the action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.