Albany, NY asked in Civil Litigation for Illinois

Q: My family received a judgement . But the law firm that was hired is refusing to give the money. What can be done.

The judge order them to payout but they are still refusing. Told the family they dont deserve that amount of money.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bryan R. Bagdady
Bryan R. Bagdady
  • Oakbrook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I assume that when you say your family "received" a judgment that you mean that a judgment was entered in your or your family's favor and against some specific defendant or defendants. Obtaining a judgment does not mean that the defendants will voluntarily pay or satisfy the judgment. Those are two entirely different concepts. If the defendant does not voluntarily pay a judgment, then the judgment remains of record in the proceedings and the Judgment Creditor is entitled in Illinois to pursue a variety of post judgment remedies. Post judgment activities are considered cases in and of themselves and you should confer with someone who has experience handling such matters. If you suspect that the defendant will file for bankruptcy relief, then there are some additional tactical steps that should be evaluated in order to better protect your judgment in a bk proceeding.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.