Allen, TX asked in Immigration Law for Louisiana

Q: I am helping my friend get a green-card. He is married to a natural (born in USA) citizen and has 3 children's with her.

He did NOT enter the USA with a VISA. He is from Central America. He has never been in trouble with the law. He has been here for 17 years. He speaks English and he works steadily and has never received any assistance. He has an expired passport but can go to Consulate and have it renewed. I want to help him complete his forms but I do not want him to be deported. I am a US citizen (born in USA to citizen parents). He started the process with DHS in 2008 but never completed it. Thus, DHS has some old paperwork. Should my friend proceed with DHS Forms I-130 and I-485? Please tell me how to proceed without causing him a problem. I am in New Orleans, LA

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Monica E Rottermann
Monica E Rottermann
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA

A: While it is kind of you to want to assist your friend with his immigration paperwork, there is much more to applying for a green card than simply filling out forms. He must actually be eligible for the benefits he is seeking and if he not eligible and applies he will not only be losing the money spent on submitting the applications he could be placed in removal proceedings when the application is denied. The best assistance you can provide is helping him locate a reputable immigration attorney in your area who can properly advise him on his immigration options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.