Omaha, NE asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Nebraska

Q: If my sister and I inherited a house from our parents, and my sister dies, so I now own all of the house?

The house is in both of our names.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kelly Henry Turner
Kelly Henry Turner
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: The answer would depend on how you and the sister owned the house. If the house is owned as Tenants-in-Common, each owns an undivided interest in the property. The deceased sister's interest would pass through her estate.

If the property is owned in Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship the deceased sister's ownership would be transferred to you as the remaining owner.

Brad Marsicek agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.