Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Georgia

Q: Can they terminate my rights to my children if the father has chosen to do drugs?

They have been in foster care for 18 months and talking about termination because their father is on drugs. But I have everything that was required in order for my kids to come home.

1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If you are still living with the father after 18 months of your children being in foster care, the Court has likely determined that the children can't be released back into your home, if the father is not sober. There appear to be some details that have been left out if the Court is threatening to terminate your parental rights, because of the actions of someone else. But my best advice is to hire an attorney who represents parents in juvenile court, so that they may assist you with reunification.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.