Oviedo, FL asked in Probate for Puerto Rico

Q: My dad passed away in Puerto Rico in August 2022. My uncle called me and said that my dad had a open bank account.

My dad didn't have a will but my uncle said that he notified the bank that my dad had 2 kids and no wife and that he would like the money to be given to us both equally. I live in Florida.

Now I lost communication with my uncle and he didn't give me the name of the bank or account number. Last time I spoke with him he said that I needed to request a certificate of death and If I can send him the birth certificate for my bother and I and I told him I rather email the certificates to the bank directly. He said he would tell the agent from the bank to call me but no one has called me and my uncle changed his number.

Can you tell me what steps I need to take for my brother and I to be declared the executive of his estate? My uncle said that the amount was around $10,000 but he wasn't sure. How do I find out how much was left and if he had any properties?

My dad's parent are deceased and I want to make sure we don't pass the deadline to claim the account before it goes to someone.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Freeeport, FL

A: It appears that you need to contact an attorney in Puerto Rico. Your question has nothing to do with Florida law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.