Charlotte, NC asked in Child Support and Tax Law for South Carolina

Q: What’s the best way to keep finances separated if you are about to marry a man with child support

Do I have to file married with him or can I keep it as head of household?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Megan Hunt Dell
Megan Hunt Dell
  • Charleston, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: This is actually a question about taxes. Married couples can file taxes in one of two ways: "married filing jointly" or "married filing separately."

Filing your taxes as a married person, either jointly with your spouse or separately, does not affect your fiance's obligation to pay child support. It also will not create any obligation by you to pay child support for him/for the benefit of his child(ren).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.