Dearborn, MI asked in Contracts and Small Claims for Michigan

Q: If you give a friend $3000 to take you for a stat CT scan and take you to the ER and you gave this money (see below)...

If you give a friend $3000 to take you for a stat CT scan and take you to the ER and you gave this money under extreme anxiety and emotional distress because you're a widow with no one to help you, and later when calm you ask how they could do that if they're your friend, and now you don't have enough money to pay hospital bills, can you sue to get that money back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: No. The more legal question becomes whether this was a gift or transfer made under a contract. In either case, you are out that money. When you give someone a gift, you lose control once the transfer is made; if a contract, the money is theirs once you offered $3,000, they accepted it, and gave you the ride.

You may be right to question their friendship; that's not something a court can decide for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.