Phoenix, AZ asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Arizona

Q: Does communications regarding kids behavior have to go through lawyer without a court order?

We are in the process of child support from father. His girlfriend said all communications have to go through his lawyer about the kids behavior and did not allow us to speak to him about the child’s behavior. No court order has been made, no child support amount has been determined since him and his lawyer are declining the amount that needs to be paid and postponing court.

1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: If that's what he is requesting you do, you should do it. Explain to the lawyer what is going on. A good lawyer will take to Father and say, "Telling the other parent to communicate through me about the children does not help your case."

Be patient on child support. The Court has to make an order that starts the month after service occurred, so if he is ordered to pay child support, he's going to owe for the months that involve this delay.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.