Graniteville, SC asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for South Carolina

Q: I had my son when his father and I were split up. His father is not on the birth certificate

I had my son when his father and I were split up. His father is not on the birth certificate. Our son is 3 months old and we are now back together. We’ve been back together in a relationship since our son was 2 weeks old. His father and I do not live together. I work and his father helps financially support him and also comes to help me with him often. Would he be required to pay child support? Our son and I are on Medicaid and I work from home as well but I’m not able to make as much with how young our son is and how much he needs me. His father does help significantly. We went to DSS when our son was 2 weeks old to fill out paternity paperwork so he could be added to our sons birth certificate. We now have a court date for child support. Will he be required to pay?

1 Lawyer Answer
Megan Hunt Dell
Megan Hunt Dell
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Charleston, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Medicaid is funded by the federal government. For any South Carolina resident to receive those funds, federal law requires the person to seek child support from the other parent. However, the process for establishing child support through DSS is very cooperative, and you may be able to agree to him paying no child support or a small amount.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.