Asked in Juvenile Law for California

Q: My juvenile record was sealed and destroyed April 30, 2007. Statutes state that duty now terminated (again).

Juvenile registration statutorily ends when juvenile records are sealed. It is 'as if it never occurred and i may say so if asked. There is no underlying basis for its imposition, so why does a different county want me to register or be incarcerated?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It's possible that the different county is not aware that your juvenile record was sealed and destroyed, and is therefore treating you as if you have a duty to register. It may be helpful to provide documentation showing that your record was sealed and destroyed, and to consult with a lawyer who is experienced in this area of law. They can advise you on your rights and options for addressing the situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.