Fairport, NY asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New York

Q: RE Petition for Modification of Order of Custody or Visitation or Request for Guardianship? - Family Court

I asked for and was given the documents to file to request Guardianship of my grandson, of whom I have joint custody and primary physical residence of currently. It is a lengthy form with a number of questions that don't apply to me. Can I simply Modify the Order of Custody and Visitation to ask for primary custody and get the same results? He is 13 years old, and I've raised him since birth. Is that possible? Should I make an appointment to meet with a legal advisor? Thanks!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You already have joint custody with residential custody. If anything, the proper petition would be a modification though you haven't explained why a modification is necessary if at all.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.