Irvington, AL asked in Criminal Law for Alabama

Q: I was searched by two state troopers an no drugs recovers but I gave the drugs to ambulance guy in the back of ambulance

I had the drugs o my nuts he acted like he was gone get rid of them or I would have just dumped it in the hospital room bathroom I faked the home event to get rid i f the drugs he gave it to them at hospital an they charged me with it .. that ain't legal right

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Travis T Juneau
Travis T Juneau
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: If I understand your story correctly, you faked an injury so that you would be taken to the hospital so that officers, who were searching your car, would not find the drugs that were hidden in your trousers. In the ambulance, you gave the drugs to the paramedic, who, in turn, gave them to the police. Now, you are wondering if it was legal for the paramedic to turn over the drugs to the police. In short, yes. Unless there are some other facts that suggest the paramedic was working with or at the request of the police, your voluntary action of turning over controlled substances to the paramedic is not an infringement of any rights you have. Once you handed the drugs to someone else, you had no expectation of privacy that they would not be turned over to police. Assuming that you retrieved the drugs for your pants, you were not searched.

Other defenses may be available to you, including other grounds to have the drug evidence suppressed. It is imperative that you reach out to a criminal defense attorney so that they can evaluate your case and provide individualized tactics for your defense.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.