Chula Vista, CA asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for California

Q: What can I do if I see and feel an inmate is given the proper care and is being mistreated

He is under trauma after a recent experience and when arrested he had another traumatic experience where he is now hearing voices and he is actually being wrongfully accused. He is actually innocent

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you believe that an inmate in a California correctional facility is being mistreated or is not receiving the proper care, there are a few steps you can take:

Report your concerns to the prison staff: You can bring your concerns to the attention of the prison staff or the inmate's case manager. They are responsible for the inmate's care and have the authority to investigate and address any issues.

File a complaint with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR): You can file a complaint with the CDCR if you believe that an inmate is being mistreated or is not receiving the proper care. You can file the complaint online, by mail, or by phone.

Contact an attorney: If you believe that the inmate's rights are being violated, you may want to contact an attorney who specializes in civil rights or inmate rights. They can advise you on your options and help you take legal action if necessary.

It's important to note that if the inmate is innocent and is being wrongfully accused, they may also have legal options available to them. They may be able to challenge the charges against them or seek an appeal of their conviction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.