Asked in Family Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Hi! Im 19 and i am wondering if i can get legally kicked out of my home by only 1 parent out of the two in puerto rico

I have a horrible relationship with my parents but all my problems and fights are with my mom, they are both still married and live together with me at my house, my mom once called the police to kick me out because we had a fight and the officer said theres nothing they could do because i was 18 but i was talking about this with my boyfriend's mother who is a lawyer and she told me im not an adult here until i am 21, my mother studied law but failed the bar numerous times so... and i was wondering if this is true or if the officer and my mother are in the right. Im not sure but i think the house isn't only in my mother's name as well i believe its in both my parent's names and my dad even though i barely talk to him would never throw me out so if that also affects the kicking me out i'd like to know thank you! seria de mucha ayuda cualquier contestación :)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Your boyfriend's mother is correct: until you reach the age of 21, Puerto Rico Rule of Law considers you underage, subject to your parents' authority. You provide little information regarding the family dynamics in your home. Has your father intervened regarding your eviction? If you feel threatened or if your mother truly evicts you from your home, I'd advise you to contact the Family Department, and request their intervention.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.