Asked in Criminal Law for Indiana

Q: what gonna happen in the court for my son for Unlawful Possession of Tobacco, e-Liquid or an Electronic Cigarette

My son is 18 years

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James A Hanson
James A Hanson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Wayne, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: If your son was ticketed under I.C. 35-46-1-10.5 for Purchase, acceptance, or possession of tobacco, an e-liquid, or an electronic cigarette by a minor, then it is an infraction and not a criminal offense.

An infraction is punishable only by a fine, much like a standard traffic ticket.

Usually, you can pay these tickets before the court date and then you don't have to go to court at all.

Check the language on the ticket and with the court clerk for the court indicated on the ticket to see what your options are.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.