Monticello, MN asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Small Claims for Minnesota

Q: What is the best way to sue someone from another state for money owed on goods received? Breach of contract.

I'm looking to sue someone near the Houston, TX area for an unpaid debt on goods received a little over a year ago. We agreed upon an amount, around $24000. I sent him the goods (sports cards) a little over a year ago. To this day he has only paid me around $1700. He is from the Houston area and I am from MN. I sent him a Demand Letter, demanding payment by January 21st, 2023. I received another $176. I am now looking to take the next steps to try to get the rest of my money or to get the items I sent him back. I have records of every interaction between us on this matter as I made sure they were through text messages. I also have a full list of all goods received with agreed upon prices. I am looking to hire someone who can help me through taking the next steps.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Minnesota or Texas attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. You mention that you are seeking an attorney - in addition to your own searches, you could check the "Find a Lawyer" tab above for Collection or Civil Litigation attorneys. Additionally, most state and local bar associations have attorney referral services. These resources are beyond the scope of this Q & A forum. Any arrangements are between you and attorneys you reach out to. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.