Largo, FL asked in Real Estate Law and Estate Planning for Illinois

Q: I need to change my farm land recording to my trust. My attorney has not followed through. Can I record it myself?

1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: First, call your lawyer and ask why he hasn't followed through. There may be some obstacle that's needs to be removed first, and he's working on it for you. Second, if your lawyer doesn't have a good reason for not following through, find another attorney. You can record documents with a recorder's office in Illinois without an attorney, but the risk of the document you record being incorrect in some respect is too great. Real estate is a very precise area of law -- every detail must be exactly right. Furthermore, the county recorder isn't likely to notice most errors, so he or she can't let you know there's a mistake.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.