Fletcher, NC asked in Contracts, Business Law and Collections for North Carolina

Q: I would like to know if a lien enforcement company can come to a personal residence to remove property.

I have a UCC lien and lien enforcement called and threatened to come to my residence. There was a limited personal guarantee that states they would be allowed in terms of a default to review the assets. The company has been making this threat every two months or so but it is now weekly. They left a voicemail with an address and a the make, model, and plate number of the vehicle in question. The residence is not on the original agreement and is not associated with my business in any way. They stated they have dispatched Quiktrak to remove my vehicle. They have the VIN and plate number to the vehicle which I know is public record. I would like to know if they have the right to come to the address and if they can remove the vehicle. Also, this time they stated that the filed to attach liens to all bank accounts. Are my personal accounts and belongings/assets at risk?

Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: It's difficult to address this in an online forum. Many facts are missing. It smells like scam to me. "UCC Liens and Enforcement" is supposedly the name of the collector? Have they sent you anything in writing at all? If not, another red flag of scam, including the threatening phone calls. They cannot levy a personal bank account with a UCC lien, they have to sue on the debt and get a judgment against you personally and give you a right to claim your exempt property before this can happen or they have to get a receivership. UCC liens generally only attach to fixtures and equipment as well, not vehicles. Have you contacted Quiktrak to verify their claims? Take all of your documents and information to a local attorney for specific advice. The attorney can take a look at the lien online and determine if it was properly recorded and what it was recorded against. You can search yourself here https://www.sosnc.gov/divisions/uniform_commercial_code and also through your local Register of Deeds office but you may need an attorney to give you a sepcific opinion about enforceability.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.