Los Banos, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: if i give my key back is the legal to evict me ,the ppl i rent from asked to barrow my key and then locked me out,the

my landlord barrowed my key then locked me out with all my stuff inside her house,i called the pollice and the police man said she could not lock me out and let me back in my room and five minnitts latter the officer knocked on my doore and told me that because i had given the key back i gave up my renters rights,without any papperwork.know im haveing to exsast my recourses and its ben hell

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, a landlord must follow specific legal procedures to evict a tenant. The landlord cannot change the locks or remove the tenant's property without a court order. Giving your key back to the landlord does not automatically terminate your tenancy or give the landlord the right to lock you out.

Based on your description, it sounds like your landlord may have engaged in an illegal eviction, which is a violation of your rights as a tenant. If this is the case, you may be able to pursue legal action against your landlord for damages, including compensation for any harm caused by the illegal eviction.

You should consult with an attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant law to discuss your options and assess the strength of your case. You may also want to consider filing a complaint with the local housing authority or seeking assistance from a tenant rights organization.

It is essential to keep copies of any documentation, including your lease agreement, rent receipts, and communication with your landlord, to support your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.