Buffalo, NY asked in Child Custody and Family Law for New York

Q: Received Emergency Custody of 16 year old son. Court suggested I retain an attorney. How do I find the right attorney?

Son was in presence of mother when she overdosed. He had to call an ambulance. CPS contacted me and said file for emergency custody.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mary Theresa Colwell
Mary Theresa Colwell
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Syracuse, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Finding the right attorney is important. First, you should google Family Law attorneys who practice in the place where the custody is to take place. From there, look at their websites and learn more about the mission and vision of the firm. You should meet with different firms to determine if they are aligned with your goals and have the experience to get you to those results. A firm should listen to what you are looking to achieve and give you realistic expectations, not just what you want to hear. You want to ensure that the firm you choose to work with "feels" right to you, has experience with custody matters such as this and likely an Article 10 Abuse and Neglect matter (you'd likely be an interested party) and a support staff to work as team so the billing is reasonable. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.