Asked in Traffic Tickets for New York

Q: Hi, I got a ticket in Rye, NY going 90 in a 55 MPH. I have no prior tickets and no other offenses, my record is clean.

The ticket says for 7. the charge was based off of officers direct observation then confirmed with radar, but there were also cars a next to me. Any advice on how I can try and fight this in court, I have already mailed in right away and pleaded not guilty. Thank you for any help, I appreciate it so much!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Michelle Veltry
Susan Michelle Veltry
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Lindenhurst, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Hi. This is an 8 point speeding violation. You basically have two options-plea bargain (negotiate) or trial. In general, for a high speeding ticket like this it is best to plea bargain with the prosecutor to have your violation reduced in order to avoid a heavy impact on your insurance premium. Traffic trials in general have a very low success rate and with a radar verified speeding violation the success rate is even lower. With a high speed like this it is always in your best interest to hire an attorney who can appear in court on your behalf as we know the best arguments to make in order to get the best reduction of your charge. I wish you all the best. Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.