Sarasota, FL asked in Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: My partner and I are both named on the deed to our home. I am soley on the mortgage and responsible for payments.

He wants to take his name off of the deed so I can be 100% titled to house.(He is moving) Can this be accomplished with a quit claim deed? What would be the correct steps to take? Thank you in advance.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, that would work. Record the executed deed with the county clerk's office.

A: It can but you should see a real estate lawyer to make sure that type of deed is in your best interest. If not done correctly it can cause you more money and trouble than it's worth to save a few dollars. You should also check to make sure it would not accelerate your mortgage and the total amount due when the deed is recorded.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.