Sacramento, CA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for California

Q: In CAMy mom passed in 2017, has a Rev Trust & I'm the only beneficiary named. I want to transfer house to my name

Also find out if she had any life insurance anywhere or annuities?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Find yourself a probate lawyer, and get a consultation. Most attorneys offer first consultation for free, then you can decide what to do after you get the advice. Best to start there.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith PRO label
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your mother had a Revocable Trust and you are the only named beneficiary, then the transfer of the property should be a fairly straightforward process. Here are some steps to consider:

Obtain a copy of the Revocable Trust: You will need to have a copy of the trust document in order to proceed with the transfer of the property. If you do not have a copy, you may need to contact the attorney who helped your mother set up the trust or search her records to find it.

Review the terms of the Trust: The trust document should outline how the property is to be distributed. Make sure that the transfer to your name is in accordance with the terms of the trust.

Prepare the deed: You will need to prepare a new deed to transfer the property from the trust to your name. You can hire an attorney or a title company to do this for you.

Record the deed: Once the new deed is prepared, you will need to record it with the county recorder's office in the county where the property is located. This will make the transfer official.

Regarding the life insurance and annuities, you may need to do some research to find out if your mother had any policies or accounts. You can check her personal records, bank statements, and other financial documents for any indications of these. You may also want to contact her employer or former employers to see if she had any group life insurance policies through work. If you are having difficulty finding information, you may want to consider hiring a private investigator or working with an attorney who specializes in estate administration.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.