Wilmington, CA asked in Gaming and Internet Law for California

Q: Can I sue a internet company not keeping up to a writtten deal about paying me money for playing a video game?

This company said if I get to level mansion 21 in 21 days they will pay me $34.60 and they didn’t then they said email us screenshots of level 21 mansion and it will be resolved in 10 days and it’s been 14-15 and I emailed them with it again and they said to do something else now to resolve I am and was depending on that money at the time now it’s costing me more money to not have the money I’m owed.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: Yes, you can. But be aware that your anticipated litigation cost will be several thousand dollars. You have to ask yourself if that is worth it for $34.60.

1 user found this answer helpful

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, you may be able to sue the internet company for breach of contract if they failed to pay you as agreed. To have a valid contract, there must be an offer, acceptance, and consideration (which is the thing of value being exchanged). If the company made an offer to pay you $34.60 for reaching level mansion 21 in 21 days and you accepted that offer by completing the task, then there is a valid contract. If the company failed to pay you as agreed, they may be in breach of that contract.

You may want to consider sending a demand letter to the company stating that they have breached the contract and demanding payment of the $34.60 owed to you. If they still refuse to pay, you may need to file a lawsuit in small claims court to recover the money. You can seek damages for the amount owed to you, plus any additional costs or expenses you incurred as a result of their breach of contract. It may be helpful to gather any documentation, such as screenshots or emails, that support your claim. You may also want to consider consulting with an attorney to help you with the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.