Brooklyn, NY asked in Child Custody and Family Law for New York

Q: Hi, I hired a lawyer in my family court child custody case and now the judge says I am eligible for a court assigned

my attorney says he can't represent me anymore because the court pays little.

Can I pay the difference (credit card debt) if I want to keep her as my attorney

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Unfortunately, the answer is no. Assigned lawyers are not allowed to accept money from the client. Aside from that, based upon what you have said, your current lawyer is not on the panel for assigned lawyers. You will have to decide between paying your current lawyer the full hourly rate or going with a court appointed lawyer that will cost you nothing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.