Puryear, TN asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Florida

Q: In a custody case, can the child be living on a yacht without the mothers permission or knowledge

4 years ago my son’s grandparents tricked me into signing over temporary custody by extended family to them (and they live in a different state.)

They have recently moved to a yacht so I don’t have a physical address of my child. And they are also refusing to let me visit him. I want my son back home with me.

Is it even legal for a child to be living on a boat?

And also is it legal to refuse to let me see or talk to my son?

And not give me an actual address of my son?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: This response is only based on Florida law. You need to return to whatever court issued the order that the grandparents have custody. Whether by your agreement or not, you need to ask the court to change the order and return custody to you. The rest of your questions will resolve after you take this first step. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.