Birmingham, AL asked in Estate Planning for Alabama

Q: My dad died in October. He had his property and assets in a trust for me and my 2 sisters. How do we resolve a disagree

Disagreement on the division of the property?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jack T. Carney
Jack T. Carney
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: The terms of the trust itself will address the division of the property and the Trustee is the individual or entity in charge of carrying out those wishes. Those facts will address how the situation may be resolved.

However, you may want to consider some form of alternative dispute resolution, like mediation. Courts exist to help people resolve disputes. However the court process can be costly and time consuming. Mediation is a process that helps individuals resolve disputes more effectively and you may even preserve your family relationship.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.